Monday 19 June 2017

Summer is coming!

Today I finished my last exam for this semester, what means that for me, summer has begun. This also means that the months of lethargy on this blog are over; I am going to fabricate a number of blogposts and artworks as soon as a I can. So for today, this is what you can expect to come during the next weeks:
  • A post on the genetic background of morphological traits and its implications for breeding
  • Some posts (or one big post) on the big question “Ancient Europe: one big forest or savannah?”
  • Portraits of two interesting bulls
  • Some more artworks and reconstructions on paper
  • The finishing of my new aurochs models (WIP photos about to come)  
  • I am going to start doing another aurochs horn model scale 1:1. Perhaps, but I am not sure yet if I will find the time and money, also a complete aurochs bull head 1:1 in trophy style.


Of course these ideas do cost me some time and effort, especially the upper two require a lot of literature and web research I was not capable of during the semester, but I promise that I am going to do my best during the next weeks. I have also been planning to some more general posts and also get in more species diversification, I just never got to it in the past. But I am going to try getting to it this time.



7 comments:

  1. Good to see you back. I truly enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, looking forward to your next contributions! Especially the second bullet point excites me.

    TaurOs herds seems to be developing quite nicely , at least according to the few pictures I spotted in the web.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I do like many of the Tauros crosses very much. I hope they won't get removed all together in the Netherlands....

      Delete
    2. Why would they be removed from the Netherlands?

      Delete
    3. The Kempen~Broek herd has been removed alltogether because they were considered "too wild" by the visitors and other people (-> not as docile and tame as Highland cattle) and there is a petition against the Maashorst herd as well. It seems like the Dutch are not as used and tolerant to semi-wild cattle as the Germans are, where such projects have been existing since the 1990s already.

      Delete
    4. This is a pity but it's understandable I guess. The closer these animals get to the phenotype of an Aurochs, the more daunting and "wild" looking they will be for the ordinary visitor. It just takes a few animals to be either curious or defensive to cause these herds to get a bad reputation. Let's hope the remaining herds can stay.

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete